Friday 10 August 2012


I don’t regret choosing Project Fame over admission into UNILAG

 


At the time of entering for the MTN Project Fame musical reality TV show Season 3 in 2011, Chidinma Ekile had an admission to study Mass Communication at the University of Lagos. Knowing fully that she had little experience as a singer, she decided to participate in the competition hoping to be evicted fast so that she could go to school, but the unbelievable happened. The petite and unassuming Chidinma became viewers’ favourite and went on to emerge the winner of the highly popular show.



With four singles out already such as “Jankoliko,” “Carry You Go,” “Kedike” and “Run Their Mouth,” Chidinma is working with top producers such as Cobhams, TY Mix, WazBeat and Oscar Heman Ackah, and collaborating with musicians like Ice Prince, Muna, Sound Sultan and Olamide, to release her debut album anytime from now. In this interview with BENJAMIN ONAGHINOR, Chidinma talks about her experience as one of the winners of Project Fame and life after the show.

How do you think you’ve fared since winning Project Fame?

I thank God, because in all honesty I think I haven’t done badly. I’m not trying to score myself high unnecessarily, but looking at the way my fans have accepted my music, I believe I can simply say that I have been quite lucky.

Your debut single “Jankoliko” featuring Sound Sultan was the song which did it for you after you won Projectfame. How did you get the inspiration for it?

“Jankoliko” came as a result of my Project Fame story. Here was a young girl who participated on the show and emerged the winner. I mean, coming from nowhere and winning Projectfame was something. Many people were asking ‘how did you do it?’ and I guess that song answers their question. “Jankoliko” is an inspirational song. I was just trying to tell people that nothing in life comes easy. You must work hard and believe in God.

Why did you choose Sound Sultan to feature in the song?

Interestingly, Tuface was to be featured in the song, but he was not available at the time. So I wanted another artiste who could give the song more depth and Sound Sultan came to mind. Sound Sultan, as we all know, is someone who is passionate about life’s issues and is respected for his lyrical and conscious music. As expected, he didn’t disappoint. Sound Sultan kill that song!

What have you learnt outside Project Fame?

I learnt independence. In Project Fame, you had the judges and faculties correcting your every mistake, but once the show ended, you are on your own. You are left to public criticism. I was much conscious of this and that was why I had to work harder after winning the competition. Project Fame was just a competition and where I am now is the real world; where I have to put my real talent to test. I was competing with amateurs like me on Project Fame, but now I have to prove myself in the presence of those who have been in the game long before me; these are professionals. All the same, I thank God for bringing me this far.

Can you recount your experience at the Project Fame Academy?

It wasn’t easy, I must confess. I had to contend with many things in the academy. Is it the contestants or the weekly task that one would talk about? It was very tedious. My winning is just God’s favour.

Tell us more about your experience with the other contestants?

Most of the contestants were simply just older and more experienced when it comes to singing and even participation in musical competitions. So, many of them would have easily gotten used to the challenges in the academy. Like I said, it wasn’t easy. The experience was a tough one.

So how did you manage to endure to the end?

The only motivating factor for me was, and still is, music. I didn’t quit because I always looked out for the music part. I enjoyed the rehearsals, the stage and the lectures.

Did you expect that you would win?

No, not at all. That was why I was shocked when I was announced. I was already surprised that I could make it to the final and I thought I could be the second runner up or something. But when I heard my name, I was at first lost and became shocked. I couldn’t even shout or move. I just stood there and many people thought I wasn’t surprised about the announcement; I was shocked! I was the least experienced musically and the smallest among the three, which is why I’m sure they put me in the middle.

What kind of music do you do and who are the artistes that inspire you?

I do nothing but original contemporary Nigerian music. I try to portray Nigeria and everything Nigeria in my music. I’m influenced by the likes of Yinka Davies, Tuface, Sound Sultan, Omawumi, Dare, Lagbaja, Beyonce, Bob Marley and many other artistes with originality in their music. You will notice all those artistes have very good lyrical depth. I respect some like Bob Marley, for his socially conscious messages and same with our own Sound Sultan and Lagbaja. I included Beyonce, because I want to achieve voice strength like hers.

What dictates your style?

My style is African. I love to look fashionable, but it must depict my Nigerian culture and the kind of music I do. Therefore my dresses are designed from African prints. It could be from aso-oke or ankara. The beautiful part is that you can come up with sexy and stylish designs of all types with these materials. There is no point trying to copy Western dresses. We have our uniqueness and we must learn to project that to the world. Our designers are really doing their best.

When are you going back to school?

Very soon. As soon as I get an admission.

When you rejected your admission to participate in Project Fame, didn’t you fear how bad you might feel if, for instance, you were evicted?

Music is what I’ve always wanted. I wanted to do anything that will make me achieve my dream of becoming a musician or just being on TV, as long as it is positive and I saw Project Fame as the best opportunity to achieve that. Though I know that studying Mass Communications at the University of Lagos would also help me, but I believe God ordered my steps to make the right decision. I have no regret whatsoever; I can always go back to school.

You also have a segment on Basketmouth’s Big Friday Show on MTVbase. How has it been?

It’s been fun. I’ve always wanted to be a broadcaster. I also plan to go on radio soon. BFS has been an eye-opener for me. It’s an opportunity for me to explore my interest in broadcasting and like I said, it’s been fun.